Have you thought about what to do with your recycling and waste when you move out at the end of term?
Leaving it on the pavement on move out day, without prior arrangement will result in a Fixed Penalty Notice of up to £100! Leaving it inside the property could result in your landlord or agent deducting money from your deposit!
As tenants, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to remove all rubbish from the property and front/back gardens, and from the pavement on non-collection days. We understand you may be moving out on a day when waste won’t be collected, so we have put together a few tips to help you manage this situation, and to help you avoid losing money from fines or deposit deductions!
Here are your options:
1. Plan ahead, know your bin days! Put your recycling and waste out on your normal collection day.
Remember, recycling and food waste are collected WEEKLY and general waste is collected FORTNIGHTLY
General waste collection dates in your area for May and June:
Cathays /Gabalfa / Penylan
- Thursday 9th May (one day later than normal due to bank holiday)
- Wednesday 22nd May
- Wednesday 5th June
- Wednesday 19th June
- Wednesday 15th May
- Thursday 30th May (one day later than normal due to bank holiday)
- Wednesday 12th June
- Wednesday 26th June
Make sure recycling and waste is on the pavement in the right bags/bins no earlier than 4.30pm the evening before (Tuesday) – take all emptied waste containers back onto the property by 9am Thursday.
No additional collections will be provided and all waste from the property and gardens should be removed.
You must not leave any rubbish on the streets outside of the usual collection times or you will face a fine.
2. Before you pack up your car to leave, take a trip to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre
- You can dispose of recycling and waste for FREE at a Household Waste and Recycling Centre
- Before you pack up your car to leave, why not take a trip to the recycling centre recycle the last of your item/s? You can find skips for over 20 different materials.
- Your closest is Lamby Way
- Please sort out your recycling from your general waste before visiting. Otherwise you will be asked to do so at the recycling centre
- Don’t forget – you will need ID (e.g. a tenancy agreement) to prove you are a resident.
- If you’re using a van, you’ll need to book this in advance.
3. DID YOU KNOW: The Council can also offer a free household collection for many large item/s e.g. fridges, large electrical appliances.
The collection needs to be arranged in advance by contacting Connect 2 Cardiff on (029) 2087 2087
Not all large items are collected free of charge. You can find out more information about which items are chargeable at on the Council website
4. Pay for an arranged collection.
- Pay for a one off collection, any day of the week, from as little as £10
- Collections must be arranged in advance. To get a quote, call 02920 785282 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The team are available Monday – Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm
Remember – if you leave it behind, you will be fined!